In recognition of the diversity of new year’s festivities across the Asian Pacific region, OACC presents a hybrid celebration of Asian Pacific New Year traditions featuring in-person and virtual content for audiences of all ages during February and April 2022.
In February, OACC celebrated Lunar New Year, the Year of the Tiger, with 3 days of virtual content and an in-person festival on February 6th highlighting Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese and other cultural traditions and artforms connected to the Lunar New Year holiday. In April, OACC will celebrate South and Southeast Asian New Year’s such as Songkran, Vaisakhi, and more with exciting online content and another in-person festival. In addition to these activities, OACC is excited to revive its Virtual Community Night Market for the second year in a row to feature an even more expansive offering of BIPOC-centered partners, community organizations, and small businesses.
Schedule of Events:
- South & Southeast Asian New Year
- Saturday, April 9: Virtual Kick-Off with Dance & Music
- Sunday, April 10: Virtual Stories & Cultural Presentations
- Friday, April 15: Virtual Food & Art Demos
- Saturday: April 16 (11am-3pm): In-person Celebration at OACC (masks & ID+vaccination record required)
- Live Performances:
- Launching AAPI Community Map Challenges!
- Lunar New Year Celebration (February 5-6 & 11-12, 2022. Access the virtual content playlist here.
Enjoy virtual and in-person vendor and community booth marketplaces, cultural demos, storytelling, artistic performances. OACC’s Asian Pacific New Year Celebration will also launch a BRAND-NEW COMMUNITY MAP in partnership with Cut Fruit Collective! Explore AAPI sites throughout Oakland! Pick up your physical map at OACC’s April 16th celebration AND/OR download Vibemap’s app to participate in their map challenge. Visit locations and win prizes!