Oakland Asian Cultural Center (OACC)
Paid Community Engagement Internship Opportunity
Feb. 1, 2019 –December 31, 2019
- Help plan and implement OACC’s participation in “First Wednesdays at Madison Park” afternoon event and “Lincoln Summer Nights” (first Friday of the month from 4-9p May – Oct). Duties include:
- Attend planning meetings (first Monday of the month 2-3pm)
- Coordinate with guest artists/instructors (arts, crafts, martial arts, dance, music, etc.)
- Assist with recruitment, scheduling, and managing of one or more volunteers for each event
- Set up and staff OACC info./resource table and arts/crafts activities
- Document programs e.g. take photos and complete event reports
- Work on regional anti-displacement initiative, including participation in a youth cohort with trainings and networking opportunities (involves some local travel, with costs reimbursed)
- Help develop and carry out other community engagement programs e.g. oral history, listening circles
- Support community outreach and marketing of OACC programs and events e.g. submitting event information to online calendars, social media updates
- Between the ages of 18 and 24
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Outgoing, responsible, and community-minded
- Available to work from approx. 11:30a-4:30p the first Wed. of the month; 2-3p the first Mon. of the month; 4-9p first Fri. of the month between May-October; and one or more weekend days a month. Remainder of work schedule is negotiable (30-40 hours per month total, possibly more during summer).
- Organized and able to complete tasks with minimal oversight
- Adaptable and willing to learn new skills
- MS Office proficient with strong Word and Excel skills
- Have interest in or skills related to Asian Pacific Islander arts and culture
- Bilingual in Cantonese, Vietnamese, or other Asian language a plus
- Knowledge of graphic design software and background in communications a plus
Benefits: In addition to pay ($15-20/hr DOE), skill-building, and work experience, intern will have opportunities to connect with members of other local community organizations and a variety of artists.
To apply: Email a cover letter and resume to Marvin Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org). Rolling review, open until filled.
If this position isn’t a good fit for you, but you have other skills that you would like to contribute to OACC, please send your resume and a brief cover letter to email@example.com.
Oakland Asian Cultural Center
388 9th St., Suite 290, Oakland, CA 94607